Wednesday 6 May 2009

Dogs 5, Chooks nil

We have no more chooks, Sarah disposed of the last two last week.

The first incident was when Sarah chewed through her harness during the 15 mins it took me to drive Mim to Kindy and return. I went straight up to the sheep and found her maintaining vigil, rounding them up when necessary. So I gave her another 15 minutes of working them before capturing her and chaining her up again.

It wasn't until I went to hang out some washing when I saw the body. So Sarah was tied up to the trampoline and flogged. Severely.

Last Chook was very lonely in those last few days. She kept trying to come inside or to be with the dogs. Bad move on her part. One night Michael arrived home to find Sarah off her chain (again). He went looking for her, but couldn't see her (not surprising, trying to find a black dog on a dark night, especially one that doesn't want to be found). When I came home at 8.45pm, I grabbed the torch and went looking. Didn't have to look far. The sheep were near the garage and Sarah was keeping watch. She lets me catch her but won't come near Michael. We discovered the body in the yard, surrounded by feathers.

So the burial ground now contains 2 lambs and 4 chooks (Michael threw one chook in the rubbish bin).

I have plans to get more chooks..... but will need to do some serious 6ft fencing, maybe with corrugated iron panels to deter friggin' sheep from jumping in and chooks from flying out.

No comments: