Saturday 27 June 2009

Dog Collar Works

I tried the electric dog collar on Jess. Thinking that it only went up to 10, I set it to 8 and gave her a zap (when she looked like she was trying to get through the fence. She just shook her head and kept on doing what she wanted. And I thought, "oh shit, this thing is going to be useless on her, I'll need a friggin' taser gun!"

So the next time, I got Michael to come with me. He agreed, only if he could have control of the remote. So we took Jess up to the sheep and let her go. The grin on Michael's face got bigger and bigger ... and then he said "it goes up to level 15!"

Jess decided she was bored with the sheep (they were huddled into a corner and weren't going to move) so she started off across the paddock. I called her to come, she ignored, and then suddenly she yelped, jumped sideways, turned around and came straight back to me, looking very puzzled. Michael was giggling to himself. That's what level 13 does.

We worked her for about 10 mins, she got zapped about 5 times in total, but towards the end, she was starting to come back to me when she was called.

The next time I took her out, she was reluctant to work the sheep at all, it took a bit of encouragement on my part. Gave her another 10 minute workout and then we walked back to the house yard, without having to have her on the leash!

So, whilst I'm on two weeks holiday, Michael has agreed to help me train her every day. It gets a bit difficult with two dogs and only one of me.

No comments: